We share a lot about the programs and projects that Ghisallo leads as an organization; now is your chance to learn about the people who make it all happen! Last time, we introduced our master Fleet Manager and youth Bike Instructor, Girmawi. This time, let’s see what our Golden Rollers Program Coordinator, Alex, has to say.
1. Name, position, and length of time at Ghisallo? Hi! I’m Alex and I am the Golden Rollers Program Coordinator with Ghisallo Cycling Initiative (GCI). I started volunteering with GCI about four years ago, helping out with an after-school bike club. About two years ago, I took on a full-time position focusing on our senior trike club – the Golden Rollers.
2. Favorite part of working with Ghisallo? I love hanging out with the kids and seniors. It’s such a joy and inspiration to watch people be excited about riding a bike. I love all the programs equally, but I really enjoy BikeStart, our learn-to-ride program. Learning to ride a bike is such a great feeling, and to watch kids work through balancing, steering, and eventually pedaling/riding puts such a smile on my face.
3. Hobbies outside of work? During 2020, I revived my love for reading and hope to carry that momentum into this year! I’m also a newbie at roller skating, which I love! Hanging out with my fur baby and collecting plants are also top of my list.
4. What are you looking forward to most this year (2021)? I really miss traveling- especially internationally. This year, I hope that things are safe enough to travel around and explore the world again. I also hope to take some bike packing trips and ride gravel with my Salsa Journeyman.
5. If you didn’t live in Austin, where would you want to be and why? I’ve visited Barcelona, Spain twice and I am so in love with the city! I would move there in a heartbeat. But, I also love the West Coast and could see myself living in northern California or Oregon.
6. What’s a hidden talent of yours? I can juggle! I learned in the 3rd grade through a program in my elementary school called Juggle Bugs. I’m also really good at finding things! If you lose your keys- ask me to help!
7. Favorite bike route/path/place to adventure in Austin? I really like the Hike and Bike Trail! It’s a beautiful loop around the lake and downtown Austin. I have taken many of my friends who are new to biking on this path and they love it!